Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Three Bean Salad

I got a new camera!!!!  So I have a confession - I've been taking my pictures for this blog with the camera on my phone.  They look pretty good.  However, I cook in the evenings after work - when there is no sunlight.  I have to have all my lights on in the kitchen and sometimes bring in a lamp just to make sure that you can see anything.  What better subject to start playing with?  My monkey!



And my little lionness!



Along with a delicious three bean salad!



My friend, Emily, made a delicious Tortilla soup for dinner last Saturday.  So I brought along this three bean salad that is a variation of this recipe.

First, get everything together: black beans, kidney beans, cannellini beans, red and green bell pepper, red onion, tomatoes, radishes and avocado. 



Drain and rinse the beans. (The water looks so cool!  I'm super jazzed to have a nice camera!!!)


Chop everything up.





 



Throw everything into a bowl and gently mix together.

 

Oh, I almost forgot (just as I almost did when I was making this) add in a bag of frozen corn and then mix together.



Make the dressing.  One of my favorite tips from when I used to sit and watch Food Network all day long - I was working from home and working while watching...  If you roll a lemon/lime before cutting it, then it gets the juices flowing.  You'll be able to get more out of the citrus fruit if you do this.  Try it next time.



 

Squeeze into a bowl and add in red wine vinegar (I was extra low, so I used extra lime juice), Cumin, Chili Powder, salt, pepper, hot sauce (that my roommate stole for a great taco joint - De Cero).



Add good quality extra virgin olive oil.  Taste and adjust any seasons/spices.



Pour on top of bean and vegetable mixture.  Refridgerate for at least 2 hours - the longer you let it sit, the better.



I added some avocado at the last minute because avocado is delicious and the mexican grocery store had some that were perfectly ripe.



Three Bean Salad Recipe
  • Drain and rinse a can of black beans, kidneys beans and canellini beans.
  • Add a bag of frozen corn.
  • Chop red onion, red and green bell pepper, two tomatoes, five radishes and anything else you have that you think would be delicious.
  • Mix together.
  • Mix in a separate bowl juice from a whole lime (or if they are small - two limes), a half a lemon, about a quarter cup red wine vinegar, cumin, red chili powder, hot sauce, salt and pepper.
  • Add to bean and vegetable mixture.
  • Refridgerate up to two hours - or longer.
  • Enjoy!
LT


No comments:

Post a Comment