Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Guinness Beef Stew

I've had a horrible sinus pressure headache all day - that has grown in strength as the day wore on.  So the first thing I did when I got home was crawl into bed.  Rupert Monkey likes the camouflage that my comforter provides but it's nicer to think he was trying to make me feel better.



I was very thankful that I had some dark, rich Guinness Beef Stew that I made this weekend for lunch!  It helped give me the strength to finish the work day.




I used a combination of all the beef stew recipes that I could find - and really it's a easy stew to just let simmer away all day.  It helps make the cold winter not seem so cold.

I used pre-cut beef but I actually ended up cutting the pieces smaller so they were more bite sized.  I dredged them in GF All Purpose Flour (first experience - and although it wasn't a cake, I couldn't tell a difference!) that I had seasoned with oregano, salt and pepper.



I browned the meat in the bottom of the biggest pot I own, which I love - thanks dad!  Added in a onion cut into large chunks and chopped garlic.

 

(I'm not sure why this picture wants to be small - maybe I'll play with it more when my eyes aren't closing on me...)

Then came the liquid goodness.  I used a full can of Guinness and before adding anything else, I scrapped up the meat dripping that had stuck to the bottom of the pan and let them sink back into everything that was going on in the pot.  I added enough beef broth to cover everthing (and all the eventually added veggies) and a can of cherry tomates.




I let that simmer for three or four hours.  I gathered the last of my celery, some carrots and red potatoes.  I chopped them into rather large chunks (although, the potatoes could have been a little more bite sized) and added them to the already amazing broth that had developed.



Once the veggies got soft - I enjoyed with a glass of Guinness!  (The potatoes kind of thickened everything up - but if you want it thicker, just mix some cornstarch and water and add in.)



Just looking at that makes me want another bowl!  I froze most of it into single serving portions that I can pull out a day or two in advance for lunch or a cozy Sunday afternoon.

Guinness Beef Stew Recipe
  • Dredge bite sized portions of beef in seasoned (oregano, salt and pepper) flour.
  • Heat olive oil (or butter if you prefer) and brown the meat.
  • Add largely cut onion and chopped garlic for about 5 minutes - until it starts to turn translucent.
  • Add a can of Guinness and scrap up meat lovely-ness from the bottom of the pan.
  • Add beef broth and can of tomatoes.  Let simmer for a 3 to 4 hours.
  • Add roughly cut celery, carrots and  potaotes.  Let simmer til soft.
  • Enjoy!
As I was writing this I caught up with two very dear friends - Rachel and Taylor.  It's amazing how good friends are as good for you as any medicine you can take.  Although, now my eyes are so dry I can barely keep them open and I must sleep now.  
    LT

    P.S. Check out these boots I saw on the train today - awesome!!!




    No comments:

    Post a Comment