Saturday, January 2, 2010

My new mixer.

I have my own banner now!  I am super jazzed (and I got to eat more brown butter popcorn)!

I've had a busy (non-hung over) New Years Day.  I made these Cranberry Orange Biscotti today.  I made them right before Christmas with the best intentions to send them to my family - but I got into the habit of eating them for breakfast with my coffee.  Also, I got this beautiful mixer for Christmas!



And yes, that is total amount of counter space that is available in my kitchen.   There is an awkward gap between the counter and our oven, where we keep a trash.  However, you have to made due with what you have - and I'm thankful that I have a kitchen to bake in.

I doubled the recipe - since I'm sending the Biscottis around the country (and Canada).  I just want to make sure there are enough for everyone.

I prepped my sugar, flour and nuts/cranberry mixture while I was waiting for my butter to come to room temperature.  However, I accidentally forgot that I had pulled it out of the freezer - so it was a long wait.

I put in the sun.  (Notice the window is open and there is snow on the ground - that's how hot my apartment is.)




So Lily and I took a nap.  Sometimes when she sleeps she squeezes her eyes shut - it looks like she's trying to make herself sleep.



Finally it came to room temperature and I got to use my mixer!!!




....with adding the flour by hand. The cranberries add such a beautiful color.  I just love them!

Then mold it into a log, about 3 inches wide and bake at 350.  I didn't quite let one bake long enough, so it split while letting it cool.  It still tastes so comforting when completed.




They finished - and I'm now having one for breakfast with my coffee while I write this.



I wrapped most of them up (I left myself the misshapen ones from the split) to be sent to my family.   It was my last task to 2009 - and now I can start 2010 with nothing left to do on my list!



Enjoy!  Thank you for this great recipe!


Basic Butter Biscotti Recipe:
  •  Mix 3/4 c sugar and 1/4 tsp salt with a stick of (room temperature) butter.
  • Add in 2 eggs, one at a time.
  • Add 2 cups of flour - stir with a wooden spoon.
  • Add whatever goodies you want - citrus, nuts, dried fruit, chocolate, the possibilities are endless!
  • Create a log of dough about 3 inches across.
  • Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.
  • Let cool, cut into strips and bake for another 15 minutes.  Flip the Biscotti midway.
LT


No comments:

Post a Comment