Sunday, January 3, 2010

Corn Chowder

I had groceries delivered from Peapod yesterday and it was awesome!  I highly recommend it to people who can't make it to the grocery store easily.  My mum made fun and said I was like an old lady.  However, to get to the grocery store, I have to (a) walk a mile there and back (and when it's wind chill -12, I don't do that) or (b) ride the train, go to the world's most awkward grocery store (two floors and super cramped off the Fullerton Red/Brown/Purple line CTA stop).

I have worried about the quality of fresh ingredients from them - but there was absolutely nothing I would complain about.  The very friendly delivery guy let me know that if I did have an issue to call them and they would refund my money right away.  I will definitely be doing Peapod again!

As soon as I got my groceries - I was really excited to make a variation of this Corn Chowder Soup.  I froze about half of it and packaged the rest for work lunches (after a bowl for myself). 



This soup starts with a pad of butter and slice of bacon.  Could you ask for a better beginning to any recipe?!



While the bacon was releasing it's amazing fat juices into the pan, I prepped the veggies.  Right as I was finishing chopping the carrots, it smelled like breakfast at my mum's. 



I added garlic to the original recipe because garlic makes everything better.  After the veggies were starting to get soft, I added in the milk and a couple bay leaves.  After simmering for a bit, I added potatoes and red peppers.



As I was slowly tasting the soup while cooking, I knew when the potatoes were "fork soft."  Then I added a bag of frozen corn, salt, pepper, oregano and red pepper flakes.

To finish, I garnished with (light) sour cream and some green onions.




I'm excited to have this for lunch this week - and all of my co-workers will be jealous.

Corn Chowder Recipe
  • Add 1 pad butter and a strip of bacon to a pan on low heat.  (If you're heat is too high, the bacon will get crispy too fast and you won't have enough wonderful bacon fat.)
  • Add 1 small yellow onion and 1 (or more) clove garlic, chopped, until starting to turn translucent.  About 4 to 5 minutes.
  • Add 1 carrot and 1 celery stalk, chopped, until starting to get soft.  About 4 to 5 minutes.
  • Add 3.5 cups of milk and a bay leaf.  Let come to a boil and then turn down the heat to a simmer so as not to scorch the milk.
  • Add 1 russet potato, peeled and chopped, and 1/4 of a red bell pepper.  Let simmer until potatoes are "fork tender."
  • Add 1 bag of frozen corn, dried oregano, salt and pepper, crushed red peppers.
  • Garnish with sour cream and green onions.
LT

1 comment: