Monday, April 26, 2010

Spicy Black Bean Burger

I left Chicago yesterday and cried for the first time since starting this new adventure.  The past week or so has been a total blur - saying goodbye, my mom and brother visiting, turtle races, delicious pizza and so much more.  

I'll be at my mom's for the next couple of days - she has a garden with ripe lettuce, radish, green onion and broccoli.  We had a salad today that was all fresh from the garden, which was so much sweeter tasting than anything you can get in a store.  Tomorrow we are going to get all the weeds out of the garden tomorrow.  I'll have to get some pictures of her cute little garden and roosters. 


This is a spicy black bean burger that I made a handful of to eat the past week.  I love Spicy Black Bean Burgers for breakfast.  I usually buy the Morning Star burgers - but I wanted to try making them myself.  They ended up not being spicy enough for me - I think they need a jalapeno or two.  I felt like I used a lot of jalapeno sauce, but I guess not enough.  I liked the overall flavor of the burgers and would make the base of the burger the same way again.  I also made my first poached egg!

Start with sauteing chopped red and green bell peppers, onion and frozen corn.


Mix in chili pepper, pepper and jalapeno sauce.  (This was what I had - I was going to use some Adobe Peppers.  I opened up the can and couldn't stand the smell of the sauce.  I had to throw it out almost immediately - I thought it was going to make me ralph.)


Add in drained and rinsed black beans, bread crumbs and an egg.


Mash them with a potato masher until it becomes a thickened mixture.


Form into patties.  Since I baked these, I didn't refridgerate the mixture.  If you are going to grill them, make sure you do refridgerate or else they will just fall apart.


Baked until cooked through.


This is my first poached egg.  Actually, it's my second.  My first looked more like egg drop soup, which is delicious but wouldn't have been right for the patty.


Happy cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy! Poaching eggs is super fun- I'm becoming a pro at it. :)

    ReplyDelete