Saturday, April 3, 2010

Lemon Meltaways


Happy Easter (and Passover)!  It's spring!  The trees are starting to bud and daffodils are blooming!  Daffodils are my dad's favorite flower.  Whenever I see them, I always smile a little bit and know it's the simple things in life. 



Then I made these Lemon Meltaways to celebrate the yellow daffodils!  This recipe for Lime Meltaways has been haunting me for the past couple weeks.  The second I saw it, I knew I wanted to make it.  This past weekend I ran across some Meyer Lemons at the store, which I've been seeing posts about everywhere.  I picked some up and wasn't sure what I'd do with them.  Then the Lime Meltaway recipe started haunting me again, so I decided to make it with a couple of the lemons.


They could not have been any easier to make and they really do melt into your tongue.  The second you put it into your mouth, it starts to dissolve.  I wanted a little more flavor of the lemony tart/sweetness so I made a frosting to drizzle over the top.  (I was too afraid that dunking them would cause the cookie to dissolve into the frosting.)

I was really excited about using these lemons.  They are a mellower shade of yellow, but somehow more vibrant at the same time. 


Start with beating together the butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and lemon zest.  For about 5 minutes.


Slowly add in the flour and salt.


Beat for another 5 minutes until light and airy.


Put into a pipping bag (or a zip lock bag).  


This was my first pipping experience so I didn't try to make any shape, but it would be easy to make hearts or another simple shape.


Let them cool a little bit on the pan before trying to move them.  These are light airy cookies and will crumble easily.


While they cooled, I played with Rupert.  He wears a flower collar because he's really a girl.


To make the frosting, combine powdered sugar with just enough lemon juice to drizzle.


Put on a rack to let the frosting the drip down.  


Mmmm!


Happy cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Poor Rupie!

    Did you notice a difference with the Meyers lemons?

    ReplyDelete