Thursday, April 8, 2010

Chicken Lettuce Wraps



I love Real Simple magazine.  I started reading it because I like the clean layout and the handy tips.  However, I got really hooked when I realized how wonderful their recipes were.  They are simple, have few ingredients and most don't take longer than 20 minutes - perfect for weeknights!  (In fact, I have a whole file folder of recipes organized by ingredient that I'm bestowing upon my mom.  Along with my monkeys!!  Thankfully, my mom is awesome.)  Like this Chicken and Cashews in Lettuce Cups recipe from the May 2008 issue, which is also available here.


I've been craving Asian food - but trying not to go out to eat.  So I decided I'd make it myself - be prepared for a few more Asian inspired recipes.  These lettuce wraps have a great balance of heat and cool.  The cashews add a nice harder bite  So simple - perfect for any weeknight!

Start with the sauce - half soy sauce, half honey.


Toast some non-salted cashews in the oven.  Mine got pretty dark - oops!  Still delicious though.

Chop up all the ingredients - garlic, scallions, water chestnuts and ginger - to have ready in a moment.


Start with browning chicken in some oil.  (I believe I used seasame oil to give the chicken some extra flavor.)


Add the garlic and ginger.


In a few moments, once your kitchen is starting to smell of the garlic and ginger.  Add in the scallions, water chestnuts and sauce.  Let cook until chicken is full cooked.  Add in the cashews at the last second.


I used butter lettuce for my lettuce cups.  Make sure you wash and pat dry.


Add the filling to the lettuce and enjoy!


Happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment