Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hot Dog and Potato Salad


Yesterday, I announced my hot dog craving.  Typically, when I have cravings like that, I talk about them but never actually eat the desired food.  With the help of George Forman, I grilled a couple hot dogs and made potato salad - it was almost like summer!  (I also cleaned almost my whole apartment - it was a very productive Wednesday evening.)


I should really follow my cravings more often.  I think I'd be a lot happier - and probably a bit heavier...

Most of my pictures look a little weird on the coloring.  I'm blaming the bright green bowl, my love of bright yellow mustard and the lack of natural lighting. 

Start with chopping up 6 red potatoes.  For some reason, I felt like I had huge potatoes - so vary according to your potato size.


Boil some eggs.  Do you see that red thing?  It's awesome!  I often see all these tips and tricks to getting perfectly boiled eggs, but I ignore them because I have this thing.  It has markings on it that tell me how cooked my eggs are.  It gets darker the more cooked the eggs get.


Chop up some celery.


I usually add fresh dill to potato salad.  However, I didn't have any, which is rare.  I love dill on almost everything!  So I used a dill pickle!


Chop that up and add to the celery.  They'll all go in together - it doesn't matter.


Once the eggs are finished boiling (See how dark my egg timer is?  That means they are cooked all the way though.  No guess work!), peel them.


And chop them up.


Add everything together - starting with the warm, fork soft potatoes.  Warm potato salad is one of my favorite things.  Potato salad is supposed to be one of those things that get better with time.  I disagree - potato salad is best while it's still warm.  It's more comforting that way.


Add in some Mayo and mustard.  I use obscene amounts of mustard.  (Not really pictured here, but the finished product is mega yellow...)  Don't copy me, unless you like obscene amounts of mustard too.  If that's the case, I understand and encourage this.


Throw in your celery and pickles.  Stir.  Season with salt, pepper, paprika.  Add in the eggs and stir some more.  


Enjoy!  Ahh!  I was such a happy camper after enjoying these.  It was kind of like that feeling after you've been studying for a test and you just got back your grade - an A!! 


I am feeling much better than I was last week.  I ended up going on my work trip, which was too Laguna Beach.  I'm not sure if it was the food I was eating (rich but small portions), the fresh ocean air or what but my stomach feels better than it has in a year!  I do have a couple bland and tasty recipes to share.  I'm behind - I know!  However, I felt like I was out of town the whole month of February.  I'm back now and am getting caught up...

Happy cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment