Saturday, March 27, 2010

Apple Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breasts


I have been playing catch up with my blog this morning - I've prepped all my pictures of things I've cooked over the last month.  I've set up a schedule for myself so they'll all come out over the next few weeks.  I'm getting better about timeliness and this should help...  This is one I made about a month ago (and wrote about then so I'll share it this morning.)

I was looking through my blog and realized I should have called it, "Adventures in Soupland (or Muffinland)."  I'm not sure if it's been the weather or the new obsession I have with freezing food.  Either way, I make more variety than soup (and muffins), such as these Apple Cheddar Stuffed Chicken Breasts.


I made these when I was sticking to the bland diet.  The roasted fennel, which is supposed to be amazing for stomach health, was roasted with a drizzle of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsalmic Vinegar, which is not part of a bland diet - but I figured they canceled each other out.  This was a delicious dinner, maybe because it was my first solid food in about week.  It'd be perfect in the fall - I know I'm off season...

Start by peeling and chopping an apple.  I used a granny smith apple so it'd stand up better in the cooking process.


Combine with grated cheddar cheese, bread crumbs, brown sugar and a sprinkling of cinnamon.


Put the chicken between parchment paper and pound out the chicken breast with a hammer so it's thin.  Any time I can bring a tool into my kitchen, it's an exciting day. 


Put the apple cheddar mixture over the chicken and roll up.  Secure in place with a few toothpicks.


Melt some butter in a saute pan.


Brown the chicken in the butter.  It's ok if the filling falls out because it'll just add to the flavor of the gravy...  more on that in a moment.


Add in a generous splash of white wine and chicken broth.  Cover and let cook for about 15 to 20 minutes.


If you pay attention to the chicken and don't let the pan burn to a crisp, then you can make what I presume would be a delicious gravy to pour over the top.  Oops!


This meal qualified for the bland diet and was really delicious.  It's one I'll have to remember for those times when my stomach isn't the happiest with me.  


Happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment