Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Apple Walnut Muffins

I love making muffins to stick in the freezer.  They defrost over night and usually come out moister than they went in, especially these Apple Walnut Muffins.  These have a nice apple flavor and the crunch of the walnut puts them over the top (for me).  I have a sore throat, achy body and no energy today.  (I feel like I've been sick all late winter...)  I pulled a couple of these out last night and they gave me enough of a boost of energy to write this post!


I followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose and added in some flax meal.   I can't tell a difference and I feel better about eating them.

Grate an apple.  (They say to finely chop, but this seems so much easier.)


Add in the apple to the rest of the dry ingredients - whole wheat flour, brown sugar, granulated sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and salt. 


I squeezed out my shredded apple on the way to the dry ingredients.  It left me with this apple juice, which I tasted.  It was a sweet juice - with no added sugar!  I took just a few sips and ended up dumping it in with the rest of the wet ingredients.  It made me seriously want to consider making apple juice this fall though...


Mix the dry ingredients in with the wet - a large egg, plain non-fat yogurt, vanilla extract, applesauce and melted butter.


Chop some walnuts to add into the mixture.  (I went without the topping that the recipe called for - I figured walnuts inside the muffins would be good without the added brown sugar.)


Pour into prepared muffin tins.  


Bake at 350 for 10 to 12 minutes.  


Sorry about the quality of this picture - I didn't get the glamor shots done til the sun went down...  These muffins are super moist and have a great flavor.  I'm glad that my freezer is full of these today!


Happy cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment