Wednesday, March 28, 2012


Our original start date for the AT had been March 25th.  That had been our date for almost a year when my sister called me about a month ago.  Her daughter, Bailey Faith, the one who had come to visit me last summer in Yellowstone, was going to be having brain surgery the last week of March/first week of April in Memphis to help her seizures.  Well of course, we couldn't leave.

On a June day in 1952, women in the Le Bonheur Club, a sewing circle devoted to the well-being of children, gathered with community leaders to realize their dream of opening a new children's hospital.  The keys to the front door were tied to balloons and released to symbolize that the hospital would always be open to any child in need.    With the opening of the new Le Bonheur in June, 2010, the dream continues.
Graham and I discussed staying both weeks - and I wish that I could be here the entirety of their stay.  We were afraid of running into snow on Mt. Katahdin at the end of the trail and decided to play it safe and only stay for the first surgery.  My mom and brother-in-law will be down for the second surgery.  My sister's best friend will be here from the beginning until Jeff arrives.  Still, I wish I could be here to be support and positive energy for my sister and my niece.

They arrived on Sunday during the day so we got to go to the zoo.  We saved the bears for last, since they are Bailey's favorite (and it was pretty sweet to see a polar bear and panda).  I think my favorite were the sea lions - they looked so graceful flowing through the water.  (Zoos do make me sad but I'm glad Bailey enjoyed it.)  They came to a delicious dinner at Graham's mom's home before heading to the FedEx House.

They checked in bright and early on Monday morning to Le Bonheur Hospital.  It is an absolutely beautiful hospital with amazing art work to help brighten the kids.  I have been truly impressed with everyone whom we have worked with - they are all extremely friendly and stop to take the time to make sure everyone (Bailey, my sister, me or anyone else who happens to be in the room at the time) fully understands everything and has all their questions answered.

Bailey had two days of tests to prepare for today - her first surgery.  They did a question mark cut that starts above her ear and curves up over her head.  (That was a horrible description.)  They put in some electros (wrong word - it's like sensors that you've seen on medical shows that are put on the chest, just smaller and made to go inside her head) that are now sitting on her brain.  The wires are coming out of her head and are attached to a machine that will measure her seizures.  Once they get it narrowed down to the size of a pencil eraser, which will hopefully not contain anything that is super vital, then they will have her second surgery to remove that part as well as the electros. 

Today's been a bit tough and long.  Tomorrow will be as well and then the doctor is saying that the pain should start subsiding.  The second surgery shouldn't be as bad as this one.  They added something to her brain that her body doesn't necessarily want but they next one is removing that so it should be easier.

Please be sending good vibes Bailey's way and keep her in your prayers.   She is quietly snoring in front of me as I'm writing this.  I'm in awe of her strength and beauty as she goes through this. 

1 comment:

  1. I saw your pic on Facebook and it looks like she did really well! How is she doing?