Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Honey Oatmeal Knots

I've been feeling all warm and fuzzy for the last few days.  Bare with me for a few moments and I promise to get to these delicious Honey Oatmeal Knots from the January/February 2009 issue of Cooking Light!


Being gone for approximately the last two weeks, as much fun and love as I had, made me realize how much I love my home.  Oh! The joys of sleeping in your own bed and having your monkey snuggle up close to you with the little lioness gently resting by your feet.  The overly hot apartment that is often just faintly aware that there are two cohabitants instead of just one who is home a lot!

I don’t think I’ve even mentioned my roommate on here, yet.  She is a very dear friend who I met 4 years ago (already!) at Mizzou.  I was stumbling up the stairs (I was in college, Mama Bear) and ran into her.  She told me to go on into the apartment below mine, which was thankfully hers because I went on in.  We’ve been good friends ever since – sharing a love of food, family and laughing.  


I have to admit, our relationship has been a little rocky lately, due to living together.  Living with someone is not easy – no matter how much you love them.  Certain things just have to mesh and our certain things just do not.  However, when our lease is up we have decided to get a divorce and not be roomies anymore. 

We haven’t really hung out in a while.  She works as a pastry cook at Naha, which I will be going to tomorrow evening for restaurant week – and I am super jazzed.   This nifty little piece of information also means that we never see each other.  I work a nine to five office job and she works a three to elevenish job.  This is nice for getting ready in the morning or singing at the top of your lungs in the evening – but also sometimes a little lonely.  
 
We made time for each other last night and it was good to have time to just be me with one of my best friends.  The living is weird – but the friend is not.  I’m thankful to call her one of my best friends.


I did promise food – so here is the Honey Oatmeal Knots, which also make me very happy.


Start with a cup of oats.  These start healthy (and stay fairly healthy - 138 calories per roll)!

Add in 1/2 cup of honey.  I love honey bears!


Throw in some butter and salt.  


Add 2 cups of boiling water. 


Mix and let cool to room temperature.  (Unnecessary to use a mixer...  I'm still excited about my new mixer!)


Add yeast to warm water to wake it up.  Let sit for a few minutes while it has it's coffee.


Add flaxseed meal to cooled oatmeal mixture.


Slowly, add flours into the oatmeal mixture.  Mix with the dough hook, if you have one.  If not, just mix with a mixer slowly.  Make sure not to over mix or the rolls will turn out tough.


Mix until just combined.


Knead in the rest of the dough.  The dough will be sticky - so there is no pictures.  It was messy so I didn't want to pick up my camera.  Put in a oiled bowl and let rise for a few hours.

This is also not pictured - I just didn't think about it.  However, it's easier than I thought it'd be.  Divide the dough into 12ish equal portions.  Roll each portion into a log - make sure you do this on a well floured area or it will stick.  Tie the roll into a pretty knot.  Let sit covered to rise for approx. 30 minutes.


Prepare your toppings - oats, seeds, spices.  This is my favorite part and they make them so pretty.

Brush roll with egg and water mixture.  Sprinkle the toppings over the top.  Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes until golden brown.

Let cool and enjoy! 


Honey Oatmeal Knots from the January/February 2009 issue of Cooking Light

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup regular oats
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 2 cups boiling water
  • 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
  • 1/3 cup warm water (100 to 110 degrees)
  • 1/4 cup flaxseed meal
  • 3 cups whole wheat flour (I used 2 1/2 cups)
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 2 cups), divided
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoons regular oats
  • 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
  • 1 tablespoon caraway seeds (or whatever you have on hand)
Directions:
  • Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, and add 2 cups boiling water, stirring until well blended.  Cool to room temperature.
  • Dissolve yeast in 1/3 cup warm water in a small bowl; let stand 5 minutes.  Add yeast mixture to oats mixture; stir well.  Stir in flaxseed meal.
  • Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups; level with a knife.  Gradually add 3 cups whole wheat flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour to oats mixture; stir until a soft dough forms.  Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface.  Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining all-purpose flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky).
  • Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top, cover and let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in size.  (Press two fingers into the dough.  If indentation remains, the dough has risen enough.)  Punch dough down, and let rest for 5 minutes.
  • Divide dough in half; cut each half into 12 equal portions.  Working with one portion at a time (cover remaining dough to prevent from drying), shape each portion into an 8-inch rope.  Tie each rope under bottom edge of roll.  Place each roll on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.  Cover with plastic wrap coated with cooking spray; let rise in a warm place (85 degrees), free from drafts, for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Combine 1 teaspoon water and egg in a small bowl; brush egg mixture over rolls.  Combine 1 tablespoon oats, poppy seeds, and caraway seeds; sprinkle evenly over rolls.  Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until golden.  Cool on wire racks.  Makes about 24 rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment